We use cookies to deliver a reliable and personalised ArtQuidexperience. By browsing ArtQuid, you agree to our use of cookies.

Log in

  Lost password

New on ArtQuid?

Create Your Free Account
Sign up Sell your Art
  1. Art Prints
  2. Paintings
  3. Drawings
  4. Photography
  5. Digital Art
  6. Themes
  7. Staff Picks ♡
  8. More
Map of the 17th century «The county of Boulogne».  Art Versailles
   
This 17th century map represents the county of Bouloigne which is now called Boulogne-sur-mer.

The county of Boulogne comes from a Frankish pagus. From the 9th century, this county is under the suzerainty of the Marquisate of Flanders. Philippe Auguste confiscated it in 1212 to give it to his son. The county will then follow the destinies of Artois and will finally be annexed to the royal domain in the 15th century.
The counts of Boulogne had for arms «Of gold with three cakes of gules».

Originally, the Boulonnais was a pagus of the civitas des Morins (pagus Bononiensis). Its territory extended from Canche in the south to the northern limit of the county of Guînes and the seigniory of Ardres (Lords of Ardres); the land of Marck, whose name is significant (* marka means «border» in Common Germanic), belonged to the Ternois proper, but was for a long time a Boulogne fiefdom.

At the end of the 9th century, it was Count Erkenger who was at the head of this pagus. In 886, Bishop Gauzlin of Paris asked him to seek help from the Normans against the king of the Eastern Franks, Emperor Charles III the Fat. In 896, Erkenger, who had remained faithful to the Carolingian pretender Charles the Simple, was stripped of everything he possessed and forced to pay homage to the king of the Western Franks, the Robertian Eudes. It was perhaps at this time that Baudouin II of Flanders was able to establish his suzerainty over the county. Le Boulonnais, however, probably kept his particular counts for some time. On the death of Baudouin ii, it was his second son Adalolphe who obtained the Boulonnais as well as the Ternois. At the end of the 12th century, the counts of Boulogne were the overlords of the counts of Saint-Pol.

The county of Boulogne was detached from the county of Flanders by the Treaty of Arras of October 1191 and placed under the direct suzerainty of the King of France.

Philippe Auguste, after having confiscated the Boulonnais (1212), handed it over to his son Philippe, husband of the heiress Mathilde, daughter of Renaud de Dammartin.

On the death of Mathilde (1258), the Parliament of Paris recognized the county to Robert v, count of Auvergne, whose mother, Alix de Brabant, was the granddaughter of Mathieu de Boulogne. However two dependencies, Marck and Calais, which had been, from the ninth century, subjugated by the counts of Flanders to their vassals Boulonnais, were detached on this occasion and joined to Artois.

The county of Boulogne, like the counties of Saint-Pol and Guînes, in 1237 came under the influence of Artois, and, with the exception of the territories which were temporarily occupied by England, they followed its destinies8.

After the annexation by Louis XI (February 1477) of Boulonnais, the county was integrated into the military government of Picardy and became a senechaussee of the generality of Amiens
Map of the 17th century «The county of Boulogne»
XIXth c. Art and Older,  Drawings,  Drawings
60 x  50 cm  /   23.6 x  19.7 in
Themes: Maps  /   Origin: France  /   Genre: Academism  /   Period: XVIIth c  /  
 
Posted: january 12, 2022 / Modified: january 12, 2022
Copyright Art Versailles

 
Map of the 17th century «The county of Boulogne»
360 €  256 £  410 $ 
Available for sale
2
Art Versailles
Art Versailles
Flea markets Art dealer 
France
View more similar artworks
Exhibit a similar artwork

Select language

  1. Deutsch
  2. English
  3. Español
  4. Français